Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Xmas 2011

I'm posting it a bit late or am I just incredibly early for 2012?! Here is our Xmas card from 2011.
I ended up making about 35- 40 cards. Twenty five of them I embroidered with my friends names on the ribbon. Here are the items I used and yes I do like to lay out my desk in this manner. I also like to make components ahead of time so cards are easier to assemble.
Here's how I did it...

I stamped out several Angelboy stamps onto vellum with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I heat set with an embossing heat tool. After they dried (I let them sit overnight) I decorated his wings and halo with Stickles Stardust. Drying time depends on how much of the Stickles you put on. I waited about an hour or so. (Note: I did try stamping the image on acetate and using clear glue and glitter. It turned out very clumpy and I didn't like the look much.)
I took the pic before I added Stickles to the halo
Once completely dried I cut out all the Angels leaving a little border around the image. The Stickles cause the vellum to curl a little, but I liked the effect it gave the wings.
While I was waiting for my stamps to dry I distressed some satin ribbon I had. I cut 8" length of cream satin ribbon which I distressed with Walnut Ink Antiquing Solution. I balled up the ribbon with a rubber band and set aside to dry over several hours. Once dried I melted the ends of the ribbon with a candle or you can use Fray Stop.
I also made little scrolls from brown craft paper (or paper grocery bags) and wooden coasters from Micheal's. I deconstructed the coasters and cut the wooden pieces in half. I then scored strips of paper that were 1.5" x 4". I tore the paper on the score lines rather than cut. I wrote "Merry Christmas" on the paper strips glued to the wood pieces, rolled and distressed to complete the scrolls.

Next I used DCWV Winter Magic scrapbook paperstack. Cut 4"x5" rectangle from the dark scrapbook cardstock, a 3"x4" rectangle from the lighter scrapbook cardstock, and a 3.5" x 4.5" rectangle from an old book. Use a glue runner to adhere the paper to a 5.5" x 5.5" black card base. I like to use the blank cards from JoAnn's because they cost $3.99 for 10 and are often on sale for less.
Distress all edges. I used a Dremel since I had so many. Wear a mask!
I then attached the Angel with a gold heart brad that I distressed with sandpaper.
Inside the card you will see the wings of the brad. I covered it with decorative paper glued on only 3 sides so I could add a gift card. I cut the same paper for the other side punched the corners with a Friskars corner punch and distressed everything before adhering to the card base.
I then stamped a flourish with a gold paint dabber along the right side of the card. While the paint was still wet I sprinkled glitter over the paint and added dots with Stickles. (Note: Since I first started out thinking I wanted to use rhinestones I had already attached the Angel to the card. However it is easy to just turn him clockwise and have enough room to stamp the flourish.)
Next I took the distressed satin ribbon and attached to the top of the card with hot glue. I then hot glued Patons Divine Soft Earth yarn to the top and bottom of the card. Be careful not to glue the bottom of the card shut. Ehem... it can happen! (Note: For an added embellishment I embroidered names on the satin ribbon. I hid the back of the embroidered ribbon with some black 100% polyester ribbon from Micheals. After about 25 ribbons I was tired of sewing. I just used Aleene's Tacky Glue to adhere the two ribbon together.)
I punched out some holly leaves from some cream paper I crumpled and distressed with ink. I also punched out two pine branches from black cardstock. (both punches are from Martha Stewart) I glued to the top right corner under the yarn with Tacky glue. I used hot glued for the gold bells.
Glue a scroll to the bottom left of the card and finished off with attaching foam tape to the back of the feet of the Angel stamp to keep him from moving.
And Voila! You're done :)
You can make the card with or without the ribbon. I attached the ribbon because I wanted my friends to be able to hang the card easily on a tree, door knob, or wall. I used vellum envelopes but could have easily just wrapped in tissue to mail them. I put the whole thing in a CD Cushioned Mailer and sent them cross country for about $1.80


Post a Comment